Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Arduino Printer

This is my newest project that I just started. I've finally gotten to the point where I think I know the coding well enough that I decided the more challenging task for this project was designing the K'Nex system to support it all. I setup what you can see in the pictures below. 

The first picture shows my first mock up design of the system. A pen goes vertically into the green block which can slide along the two parallel red rods in the x-direction. Those rods are then connected to another pair of parallel rods which can move in the y-direction. The pen will be continuously connected to the paper. I may in the future add the ability for the pen to raise and lower, but for now we'll stay at this. The combined x and y motions will allow for "printing".


The second picture shows an updated version of the first picture with consideration for how the motors would be positioned. There are two motors, one positioned at each green disk. The yellow wire which runs from each green disk to each gray wheel will control motion in each direction. 


From here, I have to make some redesigns to how the pen mount and the green wheels and then I will have to find a piece of wood to mount everything to. From there, the coding will begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment